Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Five-star Summer Movies

Summer can be a great time to catch up on movies. I'm not saying you should spend every day that its over 80 degrees wadded up on the couch, but, hey, it rains sometimes in the summer, too.

If you've seen every movie at Video Showcase, then Netflix may be just right for you. I've had great luck with their service and the movies arrive in your mailbox.

I've seen over 1000 movies, and while that doesn't make me an expert exactly, I might be able to point out a few great films that you missed. Here are a few from my 5-star list that you should make time to see this summer:

12 Angry Men (1957) UR
Actually, only 12 of the men are angry and its a black and white film--but its worth your time. The entire film plays out in the jury room.

Finding Forrester (2000) PG-13
There's some great dialogue and Sean Connery's character gives some advice on writing worth taking.

Les Miserables (1998) PG-13
If you get a chance, go see the musical. I can't recommend it highly enough. However, chances are you are never going to read the book--let's just say its longish. While your waiting for the musical to come to town or working up the courage to read the novel, try this one out.

Lonesome Dove (1989) TV
My wife hates westerns, but she made me finish this miniseries all in one night. It is just that good. It's based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Larry McMurty.

No comments: